Although Holi is a festival of happiness, joy, and enjoyment but the colors used to play Holi contain some chemicals that can harm skin and hair. It is important to be conscious of the ill effects of the colors used. Mostly, after playing Holi people complain about dry skin and pimples which has been caused due to colors. Here, we discuss some tips to tackle this situation and let you freely enjoy the festival of colors.
Steps before playing colors:
- It is very important to oil your hair before you play colors. Take some warm coconut oil or castor oil or olive oil and apply it on your hair and massage for a while. If you have a dandruff issue, consider mixing 8-10 drops of lemon in the oil. Also, apply oil all over the body to make sure oil does not stick directly to your skin. Do this process at least 25-30 minutes before you start playing colors.
- Apply moisturizer on your face and neck. Also, do not forget to moisturize the back of your ears and ear lobes, as this is the most neglected part of the body. Additionally, make sure you have applied some sunscreen or it would be best if your moisturizer itself has some SPF, as you would be playing in the open sun and you won’t want any tan!
- It is important to keep yourself covered while playing. So, prefer wearing full clothes so that the maximum of your body parts are covered and prevented from direct contact with colors. Cotton will be a perfect fabric as if you wear denim it will become heavier after you get wet and synthetic will be too much sticky.
- If you are cautious about your nails, make sure you apply nail paint so that your nails have a protective coat.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Drink a lot of water before you get involved in playing colors. Also, be cautious about drinking water while you are playing colors. Check the water before sipping, there might be a possibility that some of the colors may drop in the water.
- Don’t wear lenses or glasses. Also, apply lip balm before playing colors. Although it will eventually get washed off it is important to keep your lips hydrated.
Steps after playing colors:
- Don’t get waxed before Holi rather schedule your waxing after Holi as it would help remove your tan (if any) and helps clean up your skin. So, it is wise to get waxed after Holi.
- If you are planning any skin treatment, facial or clean-up schedule it after Holi. Rather it is advisable to have a skin treatment if you have dry skin or acne.
- While playing colors if you encounter some irritation somewhere on your skin wash that area and apply aloe vera gel or rose water. Keep these soothing agents handy.
- Avoid hard scrubbing your skin after Holi. It may go harsh on your skin.
- To remove colors from your skin use gram flour (besan/ ubtan) and raw milk paste.
- While bathing post-Holi, use aloe vera based soaps. And, don’t forget to apply moisturizer after the bath.